Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

29 days of giving challenge - Happy Birthday, Stinky ...day 18

Nobody in my family has ever, really, gone by their given name.  The tradition started with my mother's mother who seemed to rename everyone.  Sometimes she'd fabricate great stories about it, other times she just liked the nickname she selected better.

The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.  Growing up, my mother called all of us Stinky (Stink for short).

It really wasn't as derogatory as it sounds, and it ensured that she didn't get the name wrong when she was talking to you.  Since two of my sisters looked a great deal alike, it made her life immeasurably easier.

You could tell by the way she said it in a conversation which one of us she meant.  Usually it was along the lines of 'Have you seen Stinky yet today?" or "Where is Stinky?" 

Today is/was my brother,Stinky's birthday.  He is no longer with us, but I see his spirit everywhere.  Any off color joke, any time a story is twisted or the unexpected happens, I'm sure Stinky is orchestrating things so we don't forget him.  I called my mom today to wish her well on Stinky's day. 

The year he was born, it rained on July 4th.  The city had its display the next night.  We were all convinced that God knew how special he was and wanted a big celebration to mark his arrival.

Last night, there were some fantastic fireworks and plenty of ooohing and aaahhing going on.  I can't ever watch them without thinking of him and hoping he celebrates with us.

Happy birthday, Stinky.

No comments: