Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Written? Kitten! - aka the new muse on the block

The muse is an illusive thing.  'We' blame her (or him) for not showing up to work on time and not assisting in finding the next big story inspiration.

Looking into the briefly recorded history of the muse, I was able to find the one who abandons me most often.  Thalia, the Roman muse of idyllic poetry and comedy.  It must be she who makes my straight lines go crooked.  She should also take credit for making me forget punchlines and not getting setups exactly right (or is that 'write')?  And yes, this is a picture of her according to the internet.

I had hired out my own muse a couple of years ago.  A male muse.  It was great. Only one of us retained water and got cranky once a month.  He didn't get into the chocolate when I wasn't home and he never left his beer bottles around the house for me to trip over on junkets to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  Plus we had a similar sense of humor.  He didn't like to sleep at night and that was when i felt inspired.  It was a match made in my own mythology.  He'd whisper sweet nothings into my ear and I'd get the premise for something that was great, at least to me, and I'd run with the ball.

We had a falling out when he found out that I think really pretty men should probably never be allowed to speak.  Sometimes the fantasy is so much better before they open their mouths.  Well since he somewhat resembled those types of men he became sullen.  Sadly, he went into retirement after I poked fun at him one time too often; he just didn't see himself wearing Richard Simmons's tank tops and short shorts.  He claimed he had to wash his hair and he's been in the tub so long I think his important bits have shrunk.

So now the lovely people who are attached to NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) have a new muse for those of us who have been left alone and lonely. Written? Kitten! might just be my way out of the woods!  Every one hundred words and the author is rewarded with a new kitty.  I've not tried it out, but have seen a lovely sample of it.  For more information click on this  Huffington Post Article.

Maybe next year they'll do one with puppies.  In the mean time, I think I'll go look for a ball of yarn.


No comments: