Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

You can't win if ...

Recently there was an old episode of Law and Order SVU and someone was talking to Det. Munch about the number of times he'd been married.  It was along the lines of this:

"You've been four times.  Why do you think you want to try again?"
"You can't win, if you don't play."

Truer words.

It is no new news that I got a late start on NaNo this year ... I was ready at 12:01 am on November 1st and was convinced that I had things ready to go.  Knew I had a grip on my storyline.  Convinced myself that my dialogue wouldn't fall flat.  Unconcerned about the number of cliches I'd use.  I didn't need to wait for a signal in the sky to tell me what to do.  I was convinced I could and would do it.  Batman or not Batman.

Then I went to bed and lost the inspiration.

I got it started a couple of days later and really felt the juices flowing.

(The fact that there were problems with the internet carrier shouldn't apply.  I should be able to write by flashlight using a pen and legal pad, but I've gotten dependent on the connection with the rest of the world.  That was my excuse and I stuck to it until the kind gentleman came and made my computer worries go away.  Sort of.)

Then my computer crashed at the drop of a hat.  Once a days is bad enough but three times in an afternoon was a bit of overkill.

The good news?

I've sequestered a lot of bad stuff that can and has harmed my computer.

The better news?

I've got lots of external drives that get used on a pretty regular basis, so it was time to check them out too.

The bad news?

The size of the external drives should be a benefit when backing up data.  And it is.  Unfortunately, scanning said drives takes a lot of memory.

I am day three on the scanning and counting.  (No, I'm not that prolific, but have been more so in the past and archives take space, baby.)

So tonight, while I am on hour eight of the current malaware (sp) san, I have my flashlight out and ready.

 
Hey, even if I don't win in terms of the number of words I can complete, I will win because I am making the effort.

I can drive my own story anywhere I want.  Any time.

Hey, does anyone have a quarter?

3 comments:

Lucy said...

lisa hello. man am i getting around no stoppinmember me?me hi.the big enchilada?

Dooley Girls said...

Hey there!

I am glad you stopped in!

Good to know the whole enchilada is well!

We'll catch up soon!

L
ps - what is your blog address?

Lucy said...

GOOD MORNING LISA.I WISH YOU A WONDERFUL DAY .I'M MAKING MINE WONDERFUL TO.SEE YOU SOON, I'M RIDING THE GREYHOUND TO ALBERQURQE TO BE WITH MY FAMILY,MOM,SISTERS AND BROTHER.BE BACK SUNDAY LEAVE DAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING .YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY TODAY OK?