Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

29 days of giving - day 14 - the voice in my head

"The older you are, the smarter your parents become."

"Let a complaint letter sit for 24 or 48 hours before you send it because once it is out of your control, you no longer have control."

"When you are in a hurry, plod."

These are just a few of the phrases the voices in my head recite on a semi-regular basis.  It seems that when I was originally told each of these axioms, I didn't get it or I just didn't want to get it.

Each of us has multiple voices in our head and all of the time.

Two years ago, I took a class in writing by someone who is smart, insightful, and diplomatic.  (Some day, with luck and a little editing of the past, I might also be these things.) Just because I'm a bit late in telling her doesn't mean she didn't have a big impact.

The teacher has become the voice in my head when I write, edit myself and/or others, judge contests, etc.  Today I realized just how much in my head she can be and quite how much space she can take up there.

I sent her a thank you note.

Technically the gift is for her because everyone should get an ounce of gratitude every now and again.  But really it is for me.  Appreciating others always feels good.

No comments: